Saturday, September 26, 2015

Well Used and Loved for Decades!



The Background of this blog is now reflecting some of our VERY Used and Loved Cookbooks!  Collected back in the day when communities came together and made these books for fundraisers.  It was awesome to see a neighbor or friend in them and see what they offered up for a recipe.  I have fond memories of cooking with these books.  Over the years they have been brought out for all types of occasions and the recipes within them have been cooked and eaten by so many people.  

It's hard to believe how many decades have passed!  As I look closer, my Aunt's recipe is in there.  I will cherish these for all of my life and will pass them down to my granddaughter for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, I would LOVE to have copies of these recipe books. I have a couple like this. I also have some from my one of my son's classes when they all contributed family recipes. Such a great idea. I hope people still think to do important things like this. I am always in search of new and interesting recipes. Thank you SO much for sharing your family recipes. It sure means a lot to me. I remember a lot of those early days. My immediate family has never had a lot and have experienced a lot of' poor times with several job lay-offs and periods of unemployment due to no fault of our own. Yes, thanks to Mom's (my) creative cooking with very little in the fridge and pantry, the kids never went without a meal and probably never realized how "poor" we were in that sense. Even now when groceries are quite low, the kids actually like that because I come up with some creative ideas to do with whatever we have. Funny how that is. My childhood (up until I was placed in foster care) was one of pretty extreme poverty and my mother did amazing things with the goverment surplus food that she was able to get and the fruit that we kids found for her to make things with. It's amazing what you can do with what you have or are able to find. I have always appreciated your family very much and have many happy memories. Keep doing the great job you are doing1

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS You don't have to copy the recipe books (lol), I was just excited to see those kinds of books again. Maybe you could publish a few of your favorites from those books on here as well., It looks like maybe some of your family's recipes are in them anyway, so we'll prob see them. :-)

    ReplyDelete