Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Big "WHY" for this Blog!


Every once in a while, I can feel my Nana cooking right beside me.  I was always in such envy of her food and since her passing, I have missed it so much.  Everything she cooked seemed to have that down home taste.  Especially when we gathered at Christmas time to bake our favorite cookies or Italian Recipes.

Growing up in a largely Italian family, we had big meals, big appetites and big cooking days. My Mom has the same spirit and carried the recipes through all my years.  I can still smell the pot of sauce on the stove top.  I remember ripping off a piece of Italian bread and dipping it into the pot.  Mmmmmmm, the smell, the taste, it was HOME!

Watching my Nana cook was also quite inspiring.  I remember her teaching us things like the etiquette of cooking and setting the table properly.  She would place a paper towel on the counter for this and for that and it was fascinating how neatly she would cook.  I don't know that I retained that in my later years, as I am often reminded by my husband about what a MESS I have made when dinner is done! 

I remember so many things about cooking side by side with my Nana, but something was lost in the years that have passed.  The goal for this blog and for my cookbook is to document the food, the fun and the memories with my Mom and my Granddaughter so that as time passes, we always have it to come back to.  I'd like to think that it will be the center of my Granddaughter and future grandchildren's home and when they remember cooking along side of me or my Mom, that they have the fondest of memories to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment