Saturday, September 26, 2015

Momma's Meatballs - Good Old Italian Style!

As I sit here writing this blog, I can't stay away from the kitchen and from tasting!  I am researching the background of this style meatball and trying to concentrate with the smell that has filled my home!  All the reference material I have found gives credit for these wonderful meatballs to Southern Italy, most likely Sicily or Calabria, Italy.  

My family is from the Campania Region, in a town called Pontelatone, Italy.  Pontelatone is about 40 kilometers north of Naples and Naples is about 310 mile North of Calabria.  So, I am not sure where the influence of this wonderful meatball came from for our family, but I am told that my Grandfather, Albert Capone would make these meatballs often and this is pretty close to how he made them.  

There has been no family recipe handed down until now, that I am aware of, so this is quite a special treat!  My Mom came over and I had the hardest time slowing her down and letting me write down each detail.  It was even harder to get her to let me take pictures of the process, she has made this so much that she whips them up quickly!

When I was very young, my family was pretty poor.  My mom would make the most of so little when it came to cooking.  We ate and by the Grace of God, Family and my creative Mom, we always had a good meal!  I have to credit her for all she did to make sure that happened.  It wasn't until I was much older that I come to realize, as I cared for my family, all that she did.  I love you Mom!!!  Thank You!

As you can imagine, when we were gathering ingredients, I offered some fresh Basil and fresh Oregano and she said, "You want me to make these like I always did right?  Well I didn't have those fancy ingredients, so this is what I did."  When I tasted them afterward, I just said, "That's what I remember and they are perfect!"

If you wish to add your own personal touch to them, feel free.  

Meatballs with Raisins and Pignolia Nuts (Pine Nuts):

Ingredients:  (This recipe makes approximately 48 meatballs)

2.5 - 3 Pounds of Ground Beef (80/20)
1 Medium onion chopped
1 Small Red Pepper chopped
4 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
4 Eggs
Italian Style Dry Bread Crumbs (enough to give them a stiff consistency)
1 Tbsp. Minced garlic 
1 1/2 C Raisins (softened)
1/2 - 3/4 C Pine Nuts 
Salt and Pepper 
2 or 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
About 2 quarts of Sauce

Soak the Raisins in a small pan on the stove with water (enough to just cover them).  Bring to a boil and turn them off and let sit for about 20 minutes.  Drain and set aside.



Mix all the above ingredients and be sure not to make the meat mixture too dry with the bread crumbs.  Roll them into about 1 1/2 inch balls, trying to be sure every meatball gets some of all the ingredients.





In a large deep fry pan, heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and enough meatballs to cover the bottom of the pan.  Get a good sear on them and turn to get all sides.  Do not over cook, they will finish cooking in the sauce.  When finished, add all of the drippings and the meatballs to the sauce.



I cook mine in the crockpot these days, but when my Mom made them for us when we were kids, she would cook them in a dutch oven all day long on the stove.  I cook them for about 6-8 hours in the crock pot on low, in the sauce.



When ready, serve however you wish.  I love them over spaghetti, or just on an Italian roll with Parmesan Cheese...they are wonderful!  And the best part is the FREE SMELLS you have in your home!  Bonus!

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment